Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A reminder to the simple joys of life

My little baby is now 18 months old and this is my first blog ever! I have been planning on starting this blog before my little one came into this world but I had not really taken into account the sleepless nights, marathon diaper changes, day and night nursing sessions, innumerable burping disasters, projectile vomits, piles of laundry and you name it! Loved each and every moment of it, but did not have any time left for anything else whatsoever. Now that my munchkin is a lot more independent, I have finally decided to let the creative juices flowing and start putting some of the precious memories in black and white.

Its a learning experience each day. Every day I learn something or the other from my little bundle of joy. A lot has been said about what the babies learn and need to learn... however what we miss out is how we reconnect with our own childhood through our precious children and how they make us see the world in a whole new light. I love the way my baby licks his softcone enjoying and savoring the flavor, it reminded me of my own childhood when we used to have a competition within the siblings to see who can save the icecream to the last (which my little sister Moon always used to win sometimes freezing part of it for the next day even!) Why can't we take some time out like our little babies, and enjoy and savor the flavors and moments around us? It really is just that simple... slowing down and absorbing the beauty of life.

My son loves to share. Whatever he is eating or drinking, he brings to me, my husband, his grandparents and aunts and wishes that everyone share the joy of his eating experience. He simply would not take another bite till we give in and take a nibble and his resulting joy is contagious! Another lesson that we keep forgetting in life owing to our so-called busy routines. We need to make some time for family dinners and lunches and there are no two ways about it. Family bonding through sharing food is a time-tested old tradition that we need to revive and enjoy every bit of the time spent together over food.

My son loves imaginative play. He will pretend to pick up nibbles of food from my empty palm and burst into giggles over his antic. He hardly needs the expensive toy brands to make him happy. He loves a set of colored plastic cups over his expensive set of sports simulation by Little Tikes any day. Its a humbling reminder to me that we do not need a branded badge on our shoulder to be happy. What matters most is how we make use of the simple things around us and find happiness when we let our imaginations run wild.

I am still in the process of learning... and getting lessons in the simplicity of life every day. Do you feel my son has a point? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment